Thursday, April 21, 2022

A *Good Enough* Triumph!

Even before I begin officially blogging my way through Kate Bowler's Good Enough, I'm already attempting to leave behind my pursuit of perfection in favor of the pursuit of *good enough.* And here's proof: 

Tuesday afternoon, I had worked diligently to set up a prayer center for a Wednesday evening time of silence and solitude. 

(See Exhibit A )  












Everything was perfect: the lights were dimmed; the candles were just right, their light flickering in the water that filled the vases; the guided Scripture reading and daily reflection prayer papers were finished and printed. The atmosphere was exactly what I was hoping for! 

And then ... I looked a little more closely at the daily reflection paper I had created. 

(See Exhibit B)












Yup, that definitely says "Weds, Jan 20, 2022." 😬 

So, I was faced with a choice: do I follow my perfectionistic tendencies and take the time to go back to my computer, wake it up, change the document, and print the copies again because I just can't stand it when I see a mistake and have the ability to fix it ... or do I decide this is *good enough*?  

(Wait. Did I also mention I discovered this mistake about 30 minutes before people were supposed to arrive? And I was a little behind schedule because someone had stopped by for emergency food, and I ended up sharing some other resources with them? And as a result, I was feeling extra stressed and panicked when I discovered my mistake?) 

Would I choose to make my stress worse and rush to fix my mistake or would I choose to say, "You know what? This is *good enough.*" 

I chose to say this is good enough. And because I chose good enough, I was in the right frame of mind to lead an hour of silence and solitude - not rushed, not panicked. Peaceful instead. 

And you know what? If anyone noticed my mistake, they didn't say anything to me about it. 

Have you made a *good enough* kind of decision lately? If so, tell us about it in the comments! 


Pastor Allison 

#itwasgoodenough #iamgoodenough

No comments: